The 2010 Census classified us as a “census designated place.” They counted 144 of us and said 122 of us were black, 20 white and 2 Asians.
But we are much more than that.
We are more than just a handful of folks in a once broken down town in the middle of nowhere.
We are special…
- We are a very special community with a rich history.
- For the last 230 years, we have seen many ups and downs – and today we are on the rise again.
- We are a special group of people doing some great things…and we are proud of what we are doing…together, black white and Asian.
- But most of all, we are special because of our own hopes and dreams…of what we are going to be…what we are on the way to being…
- And Willington on the Way is how we are achieving our dreams…together in our own special and unique way.
We are Willington on the Way
Willington on the Way is a not for profit, grassroots community organization, but we are much more than that.
We are about …
- Economic development
- Innovative ideas
- Community working together
- Overcoming racial barriers
- A model for rural community development
- Pride of place
- African America Cultural Center
- A proud heritage
- A wonderful bookshop
- Internet and new technology
- Mims Community Center
- Educational greatness
- Historic Preservation
- Small business development
- Oral history
- A History Center with genealogical and historical information
We are what the best of South Carolina and America are all about!